31090051

I was in Sterling’s Furniture this morning with my 2

I was in Sterling’s Furniture this morning with my 2 daughters. We entered the store via the rear entrance and immediately saw posters saying Royal Wedding 20% off today only.
We then picked up a few items and proceeded to the cash desk to discover they were not honouring the discount and the assistant was not aware of the discount or the poster. In turn the cashier asked a manager who said no discount.
I then asked the cashier to accompany me to the rear entrance to view the poster she could not offer an explanation other than it might Pagazzi Lighting, who have a concession within the store.
I then asked to speak to the manager and asked him to honour the discount which he refused. He explained that he had no authority over Pagazzi but I disagreed as there was no indication on the poster it was for Pagazzi only and how as a customer was I meant to understand the poster..
I would be interested to hear if I was entitled to the 20% discount?
Ann McCrorie

Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. An advertising poster is only an invitation to enter a contact of sale. It is not in itself a contract. So much as it’s bad PR for the store they don’t have to honour the discount as a matter of law. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.