How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11304
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now

I got left half of my parents house when my mam died

This answer was rated:

I got left half of my parents house when my mam died thinking about transfering my half to wife my dad still lives there, I could be going into an iva or possibly bankrupt could they take my parents home if I do.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

1. The bot***** *****ne is that you need to ensure that if your wife gets a share in your parents´house from you that she pays full value for it. This is because if you go into a bankruptcy proceeding or an IVA during the subsequent five year period, it may be set aside and instead form part of the proceeds available to your creditors.

2. A trustee in bankruptcy has a power to set aside a transaction where an individual, in the five years before his bankruptcy, disposes of an asset as a gift, in consideration of marriage or a civil partnership or for significantly less than the asset was worth, if the individual was insolvent at the time or became insolvent as a result of the transaction in question (section 339, Insolvency Act 1986).

3. Please Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what be the best way keep the share of the house because my wouldnt be able buy my share

4. Please Note I don´t provide the Live Phone Call Service. Some other Expert will have to provide that to you if you want it. The bot***** *****ne is that holding onto the house and going into a bankruptcy proceedings or an IVA just aren´t compatible. You can have one but you cannot have the other. The only other option is that any transfer is for full value. I regret to say you cannot keep your assets if you go bankrupt or enter any bankruptcy proceedings as then all your assets are avaiable to meet the demands of your creditors.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
what would be best way to keep the share of the house if she did buy my share where would the money go too.

5. The money would have to go to you, as otherwise, it is not an arm´s lenght transaction and it can be set aside by any trustee in bankruptcy or person appointed to handle your IVA.

6. You need to realise that all of this legislation has been put in place to prevent people doing just what you are thinking of doing. Namely, get their slate wiped clean whilst keeping their assets. So, for this reason, there is all of this avoidance legislation to prevent this happening.

7. Please Rate the answer using the buttons at the top of the page as otherwise your expert remains unpaid by the website. This is separate to any phone call service.

Buachaill and 2 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
could I give my share back to my father