Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have worked for a company for 8 weeks. In this time they

Hi, I have worked for a company for 8 weeks. In this time they were purchased by another company.
On Monday of this week, they took me into an office and told me they were ending my employment with effect from 25th May 2018. Today (24th May)I have received a letter ‘Short service termination’ stating they will pay this month which co intently is paid on the 25th May and they will pay me my month in lieu (1st June to - 30th June 2018).
Can they do this without compensation?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am on £30,000.00 per year. I was in my 6 months probation (8th week)

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Did you have a contractual notice period due on termination? Please note I am mobile today so may not be able to reply until later today thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
In my contract it states 1 month and then jumps to on successful completion of of probationary period (6 months)

Thank you. If you have been continuously employed at your place of work for less than 2 years then your employment rights will unfortunately be somewhat limited. Most importantly, you will not be protected against unfair dismissal. This means that your employer can dismiss you for more or less any reason, and without following a fair procedure, as long as their decision is not based on a reason which makes a dismissal automatically unfair. These include:

· Discrimination due to a protected characteristic (i.e. because of gender, race, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, etc.)

· Taking, or trying to take, leave for family reasons including pregnancy, maternity leave, paternity leave, adoption leave, childbirth and parental leave

However, if the dismissal had nothing to do with any of the above exceptions then you would not be able to challenge it. In that case your only protection would be if you were dismissed in breach of contract. That could happen if you were not paid your contractual notice period (unless you were dismissed for gross misconduct). In your case the notice period due is 1 month so as long as you are paid that on to[ of any salary owed to date, they will be acting lawfully and can terminate your employment without the need for any further compensation.

I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the actual legal position. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service I have provided regardless of the contents of the answer, I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. Thank you