Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My colleague has received notice that bailffs will be

My colleague has received notice that bailffs will be attending her property in respect of a CCJ which she has no knowledge of. I believe that a set-aside request for what must presumably be a default judgement will arrive too late to prevent bailiffs attending and would be grateful for any assistance

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Have you applied to set aside yet please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No not yet

ok. You need to do is using for n244

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n244-application-notice

You need to set aside on the basis you have a defence to the claim and only just found out about it.

The court will set it down for hearing and decide whether to set aside.

But you must do this to remove the CCJ. If not, then bailiffs have a valid order to enforce against.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Actually my question relates to the time sensitive nature of the impending bailiff process; the advisory note arrived this morning advising of a scheduled visit on the 4th June and while I'm aware of the filing process of the n244 I'm also aware that a set aside hearing is unlikely to be granted before this date. I need specific advice on whether and how a bailiff visit can be avoided in these circumstances.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Jamie; your high feedback indicates that you are a trusted expert and with that in mind, I'd like to ask whether my original question was ambiguous in some way. I'd hoped that it was clear from my phrasing that I was familiar with an N244 but that the process in submitting this would not in itself prevent a bailiff attending. I don't think I have an answer to my original question and would appreciate your comments. The N244 has already been completed and will be delivered to court by hand but the question posted relates to the bailiffs who are presumably now in possession of a writ which can only have been issued as a result of a default judgement.

I will call shortly, will show as withheld.