12826847

I have been in a relationship for 9 months this man is

Customer Question

I have been in a relationship for 9 months this man is mentally and emotionally abusive as well as co trolling. I have a small amount of evidence from messages to show rhis. I have been trying to get rid of him and I suspected he was cheating. In my desperation I have accessed his Facebook account - he has previously used my phone to access social media, betting accounts and Spotify; he has verbally given me his passwords. However, I can't prove this. I have found information that he has been cheating and I confronted him about this. Initially he was remorseful but is now bring nasty. He is now threatening to pursue prosecuting me for accessing his Facebook under the new data protection laws. I am terrified I am a single mum to two children one of which is Autistic.ive been trying to get back with him in the hope he will stop making the threat and not pursue this. I dont know what to do. I have been considering gking to police and telling them what I have done. I need help from someone please I am desperately scared I will be in serious trouble I had no idea I could be.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

It is quite unlikely that he could prove it.

In any event, you are not a data controller even under this ridiculous EU nonsense.

What he could do is report this to the police as a computer misuse act offence but I would be surprised if they are interested.

Unless he is going to lie and make it part of a coercive control argument the police are not going to be keen to prosecute that.

You certainly won't be the first person to have accessed somebody else's facebook account.

I would try to defend on the basis that he is the abuser though. It always sounds like an excuse and you ahve a perfectly valid defence without it.

jo