ivorylounge
ivorylounge,
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
27487359

Can I get proof of a property in owned with my husband then

Customer Question

Can I get proof of a property in owned with my husband then we sold and put money inton house we live in now but it's in husbands name only as it could not be put in my name ias was not working at time .we agreed solicitor my husband and me that my name would be added to register of owning property as well at a later date we have lived in house for 18 yrs and husband has never done this what are my rights and how can I get written proof of owning 2 previous houses with him.
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 6 months ago.

Why do you need this proof?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It's my security

Firstly the fact that you are married is key and you will have an interest in the properties even though they are only in his name. The fact that you have been together so long means that on divorce the court would consider that with assets the starting point would be to pool the assets at start from a 50-50 share each. Depending on circumstances that percentage could increase/decrease.

In addition if your property is registered at the Land Registry, you can protect your position by using a ‘matrimonial home rights notice’ or ‘home rights notice’. Happy to discuss further and please rate 4 or 5 stars.

Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page.This is how Justanswer works. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks