How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35307
Experience:  Barrister at Self Employed Barrister
Type Your Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

Can I get proof of a property in owned with my husband then

Customer Question

Can I get proof of a property in owned with my husband then we sold and put money inton house we live in now but it's in husbands name only as it could not be put in my name ias was not working at time .we agreed solicitor my husband and me that my name would be added to register of owning property as well at a later date we have lived in house for 18 yrs and husband has never done this what are my rights and how can I get written proof of owning 2 previous houses with him.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 11 months ago.

Why do you need this proof?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's my security
Expert:  ivorylounge replied 11 months ago.

Firstly the fact that you are married is key and you will have an interest in the properties even though they are only in his name. The fact that you have been together so long means that on divorce the court would consider that with assets the starting point would be to pool the assets at start from a 50-50 share each. Depending on circumstances that percentage could increase/decrease.

In addition if your property is registered at the Land Registry, you can protect your position by using a ‘matrimonial home rights notice’ or ‘home rights notice’. Happy to discuss further and please rate 4 or 5 stars.

Expert:  ivorylounge replied 11 months ago.

Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page.This is how Justanswer works. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks