How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12382
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

We live in the UK. If we were to be gifted a large amount of

Customer Question

Hi, we live in the UK. If we were to be gifted a large amount of money from family on the isle of man, would we have to pay tax on it or is this taxable where the giver lives (none for isle of man)? Thank you.
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: UK.
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No and nothing has been gifted yet.
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: Would it matter if the donor then later on moves to the UK?
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  JGM replied 21 days ago.

Thank you for your question. The UK recipient of a gift does not pay tax on the gift. It is not treated as income for tax purposes. I hope that helps. Please leave a

positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  JGM replied 21 days ago.

You’re welcome. Don’t forget to rate positive on the system so that I am credited for my time.