12826847

I’m breaking up with my ex and she has given me a list of

Customer Question

I’m breaking up with my ex and she has given me a list of things which I owe her money for that she paid for previously such as bed, carpet, laminate flooring, wardrobe, and other bits. I paid half towards some of it and she paid in full for some of it. Her mother bought a sofa as a gift for us in the flat and she has said I now owe her for this. The total is £4570 I’ve offered her £2570 right now and to pay the rest at £25 weekly as it’s what I can manage and I’ve said if I’m able to pay another lump sum in the future I will but I can’t guarantee it. She isn’t happy with the £25 a week and wants it all in one sum or two - where do we go from here what’s reasonable?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Did you agree to pay for any of this at the time of purchase?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I’m satisfied with the information provided yes
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

No, sorry I meant the products that she is claiming for?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My mother had passed away and I got the flat which was previously in her name and had no money to get furniture et. For some of it guess I did. I’m not refusing to pay or saying I don’t want to pay but she’s now asking for £50 a week which is going to leave me extremely tight financially. I’m on a 40 hour contract but generally get more but it’s not guaranteed so based on a basic 40 hour week I might struggle with £50 a week.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

No, but forget that.

Did you tell her that you would pay half at the time of purchase?