How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 12067
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

My boyfriend wants to sel our house. We have mortgage

Customer Question

Hi, my boyfriend wants to sel our house. We have mortgage together. I don’t want to sell it as we have 9 year old daughter and need house for us to have roof. I can’t buy his part as I do not have enough money. He is constantly saying that he will take me to court. Can he sell our house or he can’t do it because there’s a 9y old kid and I don’t agree to sell it?
Thank you
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

Hello for clarification - how long have you been together?

are there any agreements as to who put in deposit etc?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We been together in-out 11y.I sold my flat in Lithuania and pay deposit for house.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

If 2 people own the property and one wants to sell and the other doesn’t, the willing seller can take the reluctant seller to court and make an application under s14 of the Trust of Land Appointment of Trustees Act for a Order for Sale. If there are no children involved and know the reason why the property should not be sold, the willing seller will get that order and will normally get costs awarded against the reluctant seller.

However you have a nine-year-old daughter together and you are both under a duty to provide a home for that dependent child until 18 and therefore, unless a sale of the property would produce enough money to provide a home for you and your daughter for the next nine years and release any money to your boyfriend, then a sale is not on the cards and he would be wasting his time.

Incidentally, if there is no agreement to the contrary as to what happens when the property is sold, then regardless of what each of you put in, it’s split 50-50. There is already caselaw on that which I don’t think particularly fair but that’s what the courts have decided.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! (Although there is an incentive scheme where the more five-star ratings I get, I do actually get a pat on the head! :-)) All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you.

If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.