Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Over two years ago I worked for a company on a subcontractor

Customer Question

Over two years ago I worked for a company on a subcontractor basis. We started a job which I had brought in, and I had invoiced the client direct. The Director of the company that I worked for then invoiced for me, which I had paid. To my knowledge the job had finished.
The company has recently gone into liquidation. They are now claiming that I owe a debt in relation to the job.
It has come to my knowledge that whilst I was on holiday, the Director had carried out more work on site. I had sent an invoice to the Client but they confirmed that they had not authorised the work and would not be paying the invoice. The Director of the company I subcontracted for is now claiming that I owe them the money.
Am I liable to pay the outstanding money as I had no knowledge of the work being carried out in the first place?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Nicola,Please continue.Kind Regards, *****
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Unless there is a contract between you and the company for that portion of the work then you won’t owe the money. Is the liquidator asking you for this money? Kind regards AJ
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello AJ, there is no contract. Thank you for your response. It is not the liquidator asking for the money, apparently the owner has bought the debt, so it himself who is chasing.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. Is he suing you for the debt? Is he suing you personally?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He has not sued to date as far as I am aware as the ‘7 day letters’ have been produced internally. However, he is sending all correspondence to me personally. Can he sue me personally if all transactions were between his business and my own business?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you. Is the invoice in your name personally? Do you have a limited company?