Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have been living in my new rented property for 4 months

Customer Question

I have been living in my new rented property for 4 months and haven't got access to my electricity meter as it's in a basement below the pharmacy I live above.The Flat was originally part of the pharmacy and was converted. My current tariff was left as a business tariff with Opus energy which is a business energy supplier the pharmacy (Paydens) use.I am paying £80+ pm for electricity for a 1 bed, single occupant tenancy. This has cost me £320 for 4 months. I have been trying to make the switch to residential energy since 29th January 2018.My letting agent has given me meter codes which I have been told by Opus energy aren't related to my property. I cannot gain access to the meters myself as they are in a basement which is only accessible out of hours.I have tried everything in my power to get this sorted. And am now out of ideas how to resolve this. Between the letting agent (Andrew & Co), Opus Energy (Business energy Supplier) and EON (Residential Energy supplier), no one can help me resolve this.Any advice would be hugely appreciated. I have emails dating back from the start. Any info needed, I can happily supply.Many thanks,
Jim Lyons
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Have you made any written complaints yet please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have many times to my letting agent

Ok - you need to write to the agent and energy supplier to make a formal complaint.

They will investigate the matter and report back to you.

If they do not uphold your complaint you can then go to the Ombudsman.

They offer a free, independent service and should resolve the matter for free.

The Energy Ombudsman is at:

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/energy

The Estate Agent Ombudsman is at:

https://www.tpos.co.uk/

That should resolve the matter for you.

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. If you need more help, you can ask follow up questions for free and I would be delighted to assist. Thanks!

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.