Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My account was fraudently accessed they called pretending to

Customer Question

My account was fraudently accessed they called pretending to be my bank and asked me for a verification code sent to my fone I beleived them to be my bank but they were actually trying to access my account. They changed my log in details emptied my account claimed for two loans in my name which they transferred into my account and immediately transferred into their account. Once I got to know something was wrong immediately notified my bank. Have also contacted the police but the loan company is asking me to make the payment
What are my legal rights with regards ***** *****
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 20 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 20 days ago.

How is it the loan company fault?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
They issued a loan to someone who had somehow access to my personal information. Nothing was signed by me nothing was sent to my home. In that way how was I at fault. If someone somewhere has managed to access my personal information and then also rang me pretending to be the bank calling. There was no difference in their call and the method my bank usually call
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 20 days ago.

Ok - but it is not their fault you gave the scammers your personal account details?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I have already paid for an answer will i have to pay agai
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
They already had my account details somehow the only thing i gave was the access code unknowingly they said that they were sending me a verification code I did not know that code was to change my password ***** my account.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Is there nothing to help me. How can I pay for something I never had and the bank have also verified that they beleive it was a scam
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 20 days ago.

You need to write to the loan Company and make a formal complaint.

You need to set out it is totally unreasonable that despite you giving your personal account details to a scammer that you should be liable for loans taken out.

They will investigate the matter and report back to you.

If they do not uphold your complaint then you can go to the Financial Ombudsman.

They offer a free, independent service and can examine your complaint for free at: www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk

That should resolve the matter for you.

I agree with you. How can you be liable when you have accepted a verification code changing your password?

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. If you need more help, you can ask follow up questions for free and I would be delighted to assist. Thanks!

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.