How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 55208
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

I have an employment issue and wish too make a settlement

Customer Question

I have an employment issue and wish too make a settlement agreement and do not know how to go about this I’m off sick from work at present and cannot afford much in the way of solicitors fees which I believe I need
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Just to clarify, has your employer offered you a settlement agreement? Also, how long have you worked for this employer?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No they want to take disciplinary action which i totally disagree with i have worked there for 5 years
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I cannot afford another £43.00 sorry
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Can you giver me any advice online?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

OK no problem at all and thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Many thanks for your patience. You can propose a settlement agreement at any time and you do not actually need a solicitor to go through that initial step. A solicitor only needs to be formally involved once you go ahead with considering the offer made to you, because you need to take formal legal advice for the agreement to become legally binding. However, the common approach is for the employer to draft the agreement and for them to contribute towards your solicitors’ costs. The usual position is that they either give you a contribution of around £300-400 for these fees or pay them in full. However, you should not have to pay more than that to take advice on the agreement.

In terms of approaching the employer, you can do so by letter, where you raise the possibility of a settlement agreement and just make sure you label all correspondence ‘Without Prejudice’. There is no formal way of asking for it – just say what you are after and why, the main thing is to make it clear that this is your preferred outcome.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? Do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the response to your query? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks