31090051

My husband is 83yrs old he saw a space which he thought was

Customer Question

My husband is 83yrs old he saw a space which he thought was the frontage of the old railway station, he stopped to set his sat nave, he never got out of the car and never switched off the engine he didn't notice any parking info at the time, after receiving a parking ticket for 13 minutes he returned to the 'car park' and read the information which said the first 30 mins was free, and so was amazed to receive a fine which arrived when he was away visiting family, the bill has now gone from £30 to £150. Please can you say if we should pay up? Thanks for any addvise you can give. They only have a post box number not an office address. We are worried if we have to pay parking charge and solicitors feeThank you from Margaret.
Expert:  JGM replied 6 months ago.

How long was he in in the car park for? Was this a private as opposed to a council car park?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
private car park for 13 mins
Expert:  JGM replied 6 months ago.

In that case they should not be hounding him for any payment at all. Send them a picture of the notice that says that the first 30 minutes is free with a covering letter saying no payment is due. Ignore all further communications. They may send reminders and letters in th hope that you will just pay up; that is the way these people operate and make money. However they will eventually cease sending the letters because they know they can’t take you to court and win. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.