Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

You responded to the first part of a question from me

Customer Question

You responded to the first part of a question from me yesterday . As I explained I am on sickness benefit and housing benefit and an old friend wishes to leave a legacy to me. The first part concerned how much cash can I accept before my benefits are cut - thanks for your answer to that - the second that he would like to leave me a small terraced house to live in so I have a secure home . If he does so will I be forced to sell it ? If I move in will I lose my benefits and have nothing to live on ? I appreciate that I will lose my housing benefit. I don't know to tell him to do for the best . Thank you . G. Morris
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

If it is a house you may not lose the benefit as you wont need it.

You would still get Council Tax benefit or employment benefit.

You just wouldn't get Housing Benefit.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I know that but I won't get housing benefit but will I still get my sickness benefit if I inherit a property or will i be compelled to sell it and live on the money.? Can't live in a house with no benefits coming in to pay my way .

You will get JSA and sickness benefit. The only benefit you should lose is the one for rent, ie housing benefit.

You should keep everything else.

Does that clarify?

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.