How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11951
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

Dear Sirs, We have been scammed in a fraudulent U-Ship

Customer Question

Dear Sirs,
We have been scammed in a fraudulent U-Ship transaction. On 31/05/18 £5748.00 was paid by bank transfer to a UK Bank Account for the purchase of a car. The vehicle was supposed to be delivered today by U-Ship, but we have advised of delay. We contacted U-Ship & they have confirmed that they do not buy & sell vehicles, but deal with transport only. Please help.Regards,
Clem Malone & Vitalijs Bizna
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 months ago.

Have you reported the matter to the Police yet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not yet. We have only just discovered the problem
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Lets continue with texting for now. If it becomes essential we can move on to the phone
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 months ago.

Yes I am considering this.

Do you know the name/address of the person the £ was sent to?
Or this is just a general scam?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have the address & 2 phone numbers, both of which seem to be not working properly. I also have the Bank & A/C No to which the funds were sent
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 months ago.

Ok - you should report it to the Police.

They can investigate this as the fraud.
However, the chances are the £ has gone. As soon as it is transferred then they will take it out.

But you can try. But you also need to be realistic.

I can tell you how to issue proceedings. I am also assuming you are in the Uk

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 7 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Does the fact that his (supposed) address is in Scotland create any additional problems
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 months ago.

None whatsoever.

You may not be able to issue online though.

You may have to do a paper claim

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your help. Goodbye.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 months ago.

Pleasure. Please do remember to rate before you go, so the site credits me for time spent. Thanks

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.