How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 35574
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

My wife and i seperated in 2012 and i have paid just shy of

Customer Question

My wife and i seperated in 2012 and i have paid just shy of £1000 a month religiously every month since then. This was initially calculated by the CSA for us and we have continued on a voluntary basis since then. The CSA terminated our case in February 2017 and we continued on a voluntary basis. My income varied up and down a bit but we just kept going on the same amount of money. My understanding was that this was essentially a family based arrangement.All of a sudden my ex wife has demanded many different documents all the way back to 2012 seeking to look at my gross income rather than my net income and challenge whether she can get any more money from me.I have resisted saying that it was net income under the CSA, we effectively had a family based agreement until now but, as I have just got a new higher paid job this month, we can look again at the payments. They come out very slightly higher at about £1100 a month but my wife moved to scotland last year and i now pay over £120 a month travel to see my son for the half the time I used to and half the time the consent order says I should have.I have said that in the circumstances, the changes are cost neutral and i intend to carry on paying the same amount as before. Is that reasonable.Paul
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 9 months ago.

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

How old is your child?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No thanks at the moment
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is that all I get or is there a proper response to follow
Expert:  Clare replied 8 months ago.

My apologies I have been unwell

Yes your approach is reasonable - the extra travel costs for contact would be taken into account in the event she made an application to the Child Maintenance Service