12826847

My solicitor bullied me into pleading guilty as he said he

Customer Question

My solicitor bullied me into pleading guilty as he said he would withdraw his council in court if I pleaded not guilty. I really want to withdraw this plea
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How long more for reply
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Why did you plead if you weren't guilty?

Why didn't you just refuse?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I felt that I had no choice and I didn't have hardly anytime to think. I also felt if solicitor withdrew my council in front of court, this might make me look bad in front of magistrates
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I felt bullied. So I really want to have a chance to explain in court what happened. Surely it cant be right for a solicitor to bully me. Can I go to court again and explain what happened and withdraw my plea. Can I do this or not. And no I can't afford to speak to you via phone as this costs extra £43
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Why is it taking so long to get a reply.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was being accused of harassing a social worker, but it was her who started it as she broke her professional boundaries. This solicitor shouldn't have intimidated me like that making it seem like I had no other choice. It has been on my mind ever since. I feel wronged, & I want to do something about it.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

It is really quite difficult to vacate a guilty plea.

You can make an application but you have to show a really high test.

On the face of it, you are not describing a basis but that might be that not enough is known about the circumstances.

You have to show you were misadvised. The fact of fairly aggressive advice is not a basis. That is fairly common and if it is the right thing to do it is no issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But the solicitor said he would withdraw his councel in court if I pleaded not guilty, so he didn't just advise me, he bullied me making me do something I didn't want to do. This is very unfair and bad practice. Yes I have emailed court and told them that I want to withdraw my guilty plea, so they will respond within 5 days. Don't you think this was bullying. He could have advised me rather than threatening to humiliate me in front of court, don't you think. Why is this not a more than good reason to have chance to withdraw my plea
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

That isn't bullying.

That isn't remotely like bad practice. People are entitled to withdraw.

It is really not all that unfair either.

No, I don't think that is bullying.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well threatening to withdraw his councel in court is. I have researched that this should not happen. The decision should have been my own, & I shouldn't have had unfair pressure put on me. Even probation were surprised when I had pleaded guilty
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

Your research is just simply wrong.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well that is your opinion. Can I speak to another solicitor then.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

It isn't my opinion.

It is the law.