Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My wife and I rent through an agency. Six weeks a go we

Customer Question

My wife and I rent through an agency . Six weeks a go we signed a years extension with increased rent which we have been paying . Friday 1st of June I received by email notice of possession section 21 . This was sent to my work email address and not the email address we have registered with the tenancy agency . Also the email arrived at 18:07 in the evening with 2 months notice 1st June start and ending 1st August . My question is wether the section 21 is valid .
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The Agency informed us at this time that the landlord had not actually signed the contract so we don’t have a contract
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Does your tenancy agreement say how notice should be served?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The agreement expired we signed a new one but the landlord didn’t sign it so now we have no contract

Yes, but does the agreement say how notice should be served?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it says in writing and before 4:30pm on the day it is served . . Delivered by hand or by postal service

Ok - then no, your S.21 is not valid.
It needs to be sent by post or hand.

It has not been served correctly.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks is it also invalid on the count it was sent after 4:30pm therefore the date served would be within the two months notice period

Correct

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also can I wait before informing the agent that the agent that the section 21 is invalid

Yes. It is not up to you.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It’s the agents / Landlords issue /responsibility

Correct.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thanks for the help rating to follow

Thanks. Please do take a moment to rate as it is an important part of the process.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.