How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32426
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

We are selling our home because my mum died and left a house

Customer Question

We are selling our home because my mum died and left a house between my brother and me so I need to buy my brothers share as I prefer my mums house . I have to pay the mortgage off and pay my brother and lease hold on other house and fees there might be £40.000 to £50.000 left when finished I wanted to repair mums house with this would I have to pay tax on this and would this be classed as income on my child tax credits as I have two children with disabilities .
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 8 months ago.

Hello for clarification - you are already in your own house but you want to live in your mothers house - is this correct?

so once youve sold and paid off your brother you will have approx £40-50K

do you mean would it be counted against your benefits?