12826847

We are selling our home because my mum died and left a house

Customer Question

We are selling our home because my mum died and left a house between my brother and me so I need to buy my brothers share as I prefer my mums house . I have to pay the mortgage off and pay my brother and lease hold on other house and fees there might be £40.000 to £50.000 left when finished I wanted to repair mums house with this would I have to pay tax on this and would this be classed as income on my child tax credits as I have two children with disabilities .
Expert:  F E Smith replied 19 days ago.

Hello for clarification - you are already in your own house but you want to live in your mothers house - is this correct?

so once youve sold and paid off your brother you will have approx £40-50K

do you mean would it be counted against your benefits?