Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I was in York, UK last month for a Conference and stayed at

Customer Question

I was in York, UK last month for a Conference and stayed at an apartment hotel. The first night I arrived I opened a kitchen cupboard door to look for a mug and the cupboard door next to it fell on my forehead leaving me with swelling & a cut. I was subsequently off work for over 3 weeks suffering from concussion. My husband says I should sue the hotel hence my question is whether you believe I have a case as I don't want the hassle if not.
Many thanks,
Jacky
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Did they know it would fall when they closed it?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don’t know, wouldn’t have thought so. When I looked at cupboard next day it looked as if it was supposed to be permanently closed.

Ok - in that case there is no claim. Unless it was reasonably foreseeable there is no claim against them.

If it was a 3 week injury it would only be worth a few hundred pounds.

You would need to show they were aware of the risk - but you appear to accept they were not.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
even though a cupboard door (which was above a built-in microwave) which appeared as if it should be sealed shut fell on my head without my even touching said door it's not the hotel's fault?

Unless it was reasonably foreseeable.

You can try and claim, nothing to stop you. But the test is the above.

If the answer is no, then you would lose. You would then be liable for the costs of the Defendant of bringing the claim.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That's fine. Thanks for your help.

I am sorry it is not necessarily the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Can I help with anything else today?

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.