F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Me and my wife are tenant since 4 years. On date 2nd of May

Customer Question

Dear Sir/Madam,
Me and my wife are tenant since 4 years. On date 2nd of May 2018 we signed a contract renewal which last for a year and a half, however the landlord has just communicated to us that he wants to sell the property and, without considering the contract he just signed, that the property will be on auction starting from the 1st of July. Can we proceed legally against him? if so what do you suggest?Many Thanks
Expert:  F E Smith replied 18 days ago.

Hello for clarification - how and when did he give you this news?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
yesterday
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
hello, are you still there?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 18 days ago.

I’m afraid that this is not a chat service, it’s an email reply board therefore, there may be a delay getting back to you.

Whilst there are certain criteria for a landlord to get a tenant out, mid-term, under section 8 of the Housing Act 1985, selling the property is not one of them https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_8_notice

and therefore, the new buyer is stuck with you until the end of the tenancy period.

That’s not to say that you might want to negotiate with the landlord him to pay you out by perhaps giving you six weeks rent free or something like that but it’s a case of agreeing whatever it is between you because there is no statutory provision. He is stuck with you until the end of the term and so is the buyer

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! (Although there is an incentive scheme where the more five-star ratings I get, I do actually get a pat on the head! :-)) All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you.

If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES.