How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 8560
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

My son has been accused of harassment and assault by a work

Customer Question

My son has been accused of sexual harassment and assault by a work colleague. He has been questioned by the police and the investigation is ongoing.
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: He is in the UK (Reading Berkshire)
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: As far as we know she reported him to the police and they are investigating. He is also being investigated at work
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: They have been friends for a while and whilst they are not in a relationship they have a relationship. The police have his phone
Submitted: 4 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry. I responded to your question in error. I will opt out so that another expert can assist you. Thank you

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What action should my son be taking in view of this allegation?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What action should my son be taking in view of this allegation? He has known this gorl for a while and they do have quite an intimate relationship. The allegation of harassment dates back to January this year and the assault allegedly took place at the end of April
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am still waiting for someone to get back to me
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 months ago.
It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Please can you try to find someone as I would really like some advice of my sons's next steps
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 months ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What stage are proceedings with the Police?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He has a second interview with the policetoday
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Ok - what is it you want to ask me about this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What can my son do in light of the false accusation made against him? What should he be doing to help his case? The harassment element dates back to January and in all this time they have been messaging and phoning each other and vI siting each others homes. As for the sexual the assault...they were doing something they had done before. She asked him to stop and he did.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

He can not do anything at this stage. The process needs to take it course.

Assuming he denies it, that is all he needs to do.

There is nothing else he can do.

The Police will investigate and then make a decision.

If it shows there has been communication and she has not asked him to stop - then it is not harassment.

The Police would take no further action. The Police have to show she asked him to stop and he continued.

Even then, it's likely he would just get a warning to stop. It is only if there is threat of violence would they prosecute,

But there is nothing he can do at the moment - the investigation process just takes time.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 3 months ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.