How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32426
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

We are an elderly couple who have been members of a par

Customer Question

We are an elderly couple who have been members of a par value fully mutual housing cooperative, one since 1977, the other since 1985. Recently our son offered to bring his family to live with us. We would indeed much value their support. However, as the move has financial implications for his family, we are anxious to know whether after our deaths (one of us is 80 and in poor health) my son and his family, on the assumption that they have cared for us, will be entitled to inherit the tenancy from us.
Anthony Gormally ***********
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

Hello for clarification - have you had asked your housing co-operative at all?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No. They would be as much in need of legal advice as we are. It is a small-scale cooperative managed by members on a voluntary basis.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 months ago.

I can answer you you based upon local authority tenancies and housing association tenancies but not mutual housing cooperatives and as the housing cooperative don’t seem to know their own criteria, i.e. would be better opting out for another expert. The thread is now open to all experts. Kind regards