12826847

We are an elderly couple who have been members of a par

Customer Question

We are an elderly couple who have been members of a par value fully mutual housing cooperative, one since 1977, the other since 1985. Recently our son offered to bring his family to live with us. We would indeed much value their support. However, as the move has financial implications for his family, we are anxious to know whether after our deaths (one of us is 80 and in poor health) my son and his family, on the assumption that they have cared for us, will be entitled to inherit the tenancy from us.
Anthony Gormally ***********
Expert:  F E Smith replied 6 months ago.

Hello for clarification - have you had asked your housing co-operative at all?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. They would be as much in need of legal advice as we are. It is a small-scale cooperative managed by members on a voluntary basis.

I can answer you you based upon local authority tenancies and housing association tenancies but not mutual housing cooperatives and as the housing cooperative don’t seem to know their own criteria, i.e. would be better opting out for another expert. The thread is now open to all experts. Kind regards