F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Our attorney has lost the deed to our property which is for

Customer Question

our attorney has lost the deed to our property which is for sale and the original buyer has pulled out of the deal because of the lost deeds. The next buyer has offered 20,000 less for the property, shouldn't the attorney have some responsibility for the lost monies in this deal??
Expert:  F E Smith replied 18 days ago.

Hello for clarification - why has he not applied to the Land Registry for copies?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
He has now, but we have lost the sale because we couldn't prove ownership.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 18 days ago.

Is the property registered at the Land Registry? If it is, you can get the title deeds online for 3 pounds the deed and 3 pounds the plan..online ..in seconds.

If it is not registered at the Land Registry and the preregistration title deeds bundle has been lost, then it’s a job and a half to get the property registered but it can be done. It’s not particularly quick and it’s not cheap but if the solicitor has lost the deeds, it’s something which he should be picking up for you.

Depending on how long you have owned the property, it could possibly have been subject to automatic registration so I’m not exactly certain what it is that been lost.