Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am trying to end my rented property with a company called

Customer Question

I am trying to end my rented property with a company called Globe Property. I messaged them on 4th June with a view to end the agreement on the 4th July (The 30 days they ask for) They now want in effect an extra month as they claim that I must tell them on the rent due date of the 26th. I had called them in May to express that I could be moving and they advised me to call back around a month before I move in. The contact they have signed from me is from June 2013 and had my ex-partner on it and they have never renewed it since. Surely this is invalid they are saying it is?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

Just to be clear, it does have your signature on it?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I have attached the only agreement I have with them and their terms and conditions. In 2016 my partner and I split and Global Property had me pay her half of the deposit back as they never re-issued me a contract yet she did not pay a penny, They never re-issued me another contract to sign.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 18 days ago.

ok. But you would still be bound as you signed it. The agreement doesn’t specify when you need to give notice by, does it?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I cant see anwhere it says about when I have to give them notice by? they are saying the following (below): Do I have the right to have my tenancy ended on the 4th as requested? & Surely I should have had a new agreement?1) You, just like any other Tenant, must give notice to vacate in accordance with your Tenancy Agreement. Your Agreement clearly states that you must give 1 months written notice to commence from the next rent due date. We received an email from you on 4th June saying that you would be leaving at the end of the month. So your intention was to provide less than one month’s notice, which is not acceptable. In accordance with your Agreement, your notice period will should be 26th June to 25th July. This has been explained to you by my colleague, Marc. You say that you “do not see this as fair or reasonable”. You thought it was fair and reasonable when you signed your Agreement, so why would you see it any differently now? You may not like it, and it may not suit your plans, but these are the terms you agreed to. The only way we could shorten your notice period is with the consent of your Landlords. Marc asked your Landlords if they would agree to shorten your notice period, and they said no. They want us to adhere to the terms that you agreed to. Marc has also informed you of this.5) You say that you “called in previously to express (your) desire to give notice” and you were “advised to call back the ‘month or so’ before (your) move.” You then “called in then sent an e-mail 4th June.” You called on 28th April 2018 to inform us that you were “buying a brand new house” and were “hoping it will be ready for the 30th June.” That is not giving notice. Firstly, it was not in writing, and secondly you have not provided a definite move-out date, just a vague, hopeful date. You were told that your rent due date is the 26th so we will need your notice in writing before 26th May if you wanted to move out at the end of June. You went on to say that you were ‘going to clarify with the builder to confirm it is all going to be ready before you give your notice in.’ You then gave your notice on 4th June. You were clearly told that you needed to give us notice before 26th May if you wanted to move out at the end of June, but you failed to do so. That is your responsibility.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 17 days ago.

Yes I would agree. You can end it by 4th.

Unless it specifies that you need to give notice on a particular date then you do not need to.

As such you do not need to give notice on or before 26 May as the agreement does not say that.

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. If you need more help, you can ask follow up questions for free and I would be delighted to assist. Thanks!

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
What would I need to do to get them to play ball? Do I ask for specific information on where they state I must pay on that date? Why is the document valid even though it is in 2013 and it is not just in my name
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 17 days ago.

You can refuse to pay and set out your position.

All they can do is try and then take you to Court.

Given the value its likely to be a small claim.

Yes, the document is legal.

Does that clarify?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.