Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

From Blackpool and I had a parking ticket fine which I paid

Customer Question

Hello I am Bob from Blackpool and I had a parking ticket fine which I paid in full and got a email confirmation to say as such from a company called Gladstone solicitors who was dealing with the case. and then a few months later they gave my data details to a company called dcb Ltd debt collection sheriff to write me a letter saying that I owe them all the money for the parking ticket and they will be coming to my home etc to collect the money.After alot of panic I was worried that I had been forgetful and not done it and second guess myself and I managed to find the details to say I had paid it and after alot of fuss manged to stop dcb Ltd from taking actions against me.Surely this must be a breach of personal data, giving my details to a 3rd party month's after I had paid.I'm fuming at the lack of a simple apology from them, they won't even acknowledge that they have made a mistake.Where do I stand on their misuse of my personal data
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Have you given your receipt to the second company?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have given proof of payment to Dcbl Ltd and gladstones.
Gladstones procedures must of failed somewhere along the line, but that is not my fault, they messaged me saying that I had paid in full.
The
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Then gladstones gave my details to dcb Ltd month later to persue me for the debt I had already settled.
And I had to prove that I had paid to dcb Ltd which was very embarrassing and worrying, because I should not of been put in that position.

You need to write and set out your losses and request compensation within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf

and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

If not I would appreciate a 5 star rating for my answer. If you need more help, you can ask follow up questions for free and I would be delighted to assist. Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What i was asking, have they broken the data act by giving my details to a 3rd party, which then tried to persue me for a debt that was already settled. And this is a few months later after I had settled.

Yes. You did not give consent and they had no legitimate purpose.

Does that clairfy?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it does my friend, would you be able to represent me in building a case against them. And what costs are involved.

Sadly we are an online only service, we can not represent you.

I am sorry

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What law have they broken data wise? Or law that covers the area please.

Data Protection Act 1998

Does that clarify?