Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

Do I have any legal grounds for theft. I became a guarantor

Customer Question

Do I have any legal grounds for theft.
I became a guarantor for a friend who has since refused to pay any money and I have now had to start paying the whole loan he has done a runner also.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. This would not be theft, it could potentially be fraud - but you would have to prove he had no intention of ever paying the money in the first place. If you reported it to the police it would also put a stay on you being able to sue him for the money. Under the Civil Liability (Contribution) Act 1978- you are entitled to sue him for money paid under the guarantee. Do you know where he is? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I know where he is
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 months ago.

Thank you. You can start a money claim online here https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome - if he gets a job or assets in the future you would have 6 years to enforce the Judgment against him.

AJ