Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Jo. 3 weeks ago I caught the floorers I had employed

Customer Question

Hi Jo. 3 weeks ago I caught the floorers I had employed stealing back unopened stock from my home into their two cars. They are employed by the business owner and as events unravelled it was clear he was complicit in what they were doing. The job was almost complete but we stopped them re entering our home the following day. The business owner promised to sort the situation internally and come back to us. We heard nothing. We initially paid a 50% deposit which covers materials. This week we received an invoice for the remaining £2050 less £250 for one box of materials and finishing the room off ourselves. Its insulting that he thinks this is acceptable and surely against a code of practice. I want to know where I stand legally with this local shop. Thank you.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 16 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 16 days ago.

What is it you want to achieve? Did you get a quote for the work?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I did get a quote. I’m happy to pay for an honest days work. But these guys weee dishonest. What do I have to pay them? Can I legally challenge their practice?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 15 days ago.

How much is the loss?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I took the stock back so only actual monetary loss is not completing work. Around £150 I guess. But the dishonest behaviour is under consideration here. And it caused me much anxiety being home alone with my two children having to face these workman after I caught them out.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

Sure. What is it you want to achieve ?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
You’ve already asked that question.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

Yes, but I am not sure what you want to get out of this. They quoted did the work, I assume that is how much you weee looking to pay.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I was expecting to pay that amount. But I wasn’t expecting them to steal from me. Is it acceptable to simply pay the bill and turn a blind eye to their scandalous way of working? I would be complicit in their stealing if I let them walk away with all the money and no consequences?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Am I entitled to deduct a sum for the anxiety and stress it caused discovering them stealing from me while home alone with my two children?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

Yes, you can deduct a sum. Clearly, this is theft.

But if you had been quoted X sum and that was the job, then that is what you would have expected to pay.

But you are entitled to deduct a nominal sum for stress.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.