12826847

I am due to appear in court on Wednesday for my third drink

Customer Question

Hello, I am due to appear in court on Wednesday for my third drink driving offence in 10 years, I have been told my the solictor that the chances of me going to prison are almost 0 due to my lifestyle, I work, recently got a mortgage etc. I called the local papers yesterday to see if there was anyway I could stop them reporting on my case as I will lose my job, which would result in me losing my home and pets and my family will disown me. They said the only way is to ask your solicitor to put a case to the judge that you will lose everything and they can say no reporters in the court. How likely is this please? As at the moment if there is a chance this will be in the paper I am considering committing suicide as I cannot lose everything and my family. I have also just found out yesterday I am expecting my first baby, early stages. If I lose my job, home and family I will literally have nothing. Please let me know what the chances are of the judge honouring my request. Thank you so much.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

What are the dates of these offences please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2011, 2013 and Saturday early hours of the morning just gone. My question is about whether the judge will be able to stop the reporter coming into the court as it will result in me losing my job and my home, pets and all of my family. Please help me with this
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 months ago.

No, the judge has no jurisdiction over that.

Generally speaking though reporters don't visit homes. Printed press is on the decline anyway.

The Judge has no power to order restrictions upon the press save for circumstances where there is literally a risk of death as a result of vigilante action. A free press is a hallowed part of our constitution. They cannot be prevented from truthfully reporting the business of courts if that is their wish.

I'm very sorry but the press cannot be restricted in this way.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have called up the courts today and they have said the judge can restrict the reporters if my solicitor puts the case to him so not really sure why I am getting two different answers.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 months ago.

I'm very sorry but that is just incorrect.

Court staff would never have provided that information.

That is just simply wrong.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have literally just rang them, and also my local paper said the same when I spoke to them yesterday. Maybe it is different areas and depends on the court as this is just majestrates and not crown court, perhaps that's the difference? I am unsure. Anyway thanks for your help
Expert:  Jo C. replied 6 months ago.

It is not different areas.

It is the law across the country.

Do try. You will fail.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't think there is any need to be so rude, I was asking for advice and was telling you what I've just been told. I am in distress enough to the point where I am considering taking my own life, hence why I have come to you and paid for some advice.