How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 55285
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Paid for The PHD consultancy Ltd 1200 pounds for consulting

Customer Question

Paid for The PHD consultancy Ltd 1200 pounds for consulting services and they stoped responding, not reachable any longer. Reported to police, but how can we recover our funds?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

How long ago was this and did they not provide any service at all?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It was paid out about one and a half month ago, and we have not received any service, except one skype talk to a professor Dr. Megan, whom I contacted and was also surprised for not being asked to follow up. I have all details of bank transfers.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

OK thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Can I please also check how you paid for the services and also where are you and the company based?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello, so we paid by bank transfer, from swiss bank to UK account, and The Phd consultancy firm is based in UK. I am attaching the bank transfer details now.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
trying to send the bank trasnfer, is only the second installment I have now in my computer, and we are based in Switzerland
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is paid from my husbands account, and later I can send also the first installment, when
he sends it to me
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I also have full email correspondence if needed.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Thank you. As you sent the money via bank transfer you will not get any fraud protection and cannot rely on the banks to resolve this and get you the money back. It means that you have to either rely on them to voluntarily refund you, or you will have to take them to court. The problem with the court is that you are based in different countries so there will be a not that straightforward cross-jurisdictional procedure and even I you win, it does not guarantee payment – you have to find ways of trying to enforce that judgment against them if they refuse to pay you still. The risk is you can end up spending more money just to pursue the money you have initially lost and increase your overall losses.

The alternative is to contact the fraud branch of the police in the UK to see if they can help you:

If you wish to report this, all scams can be reported to Action Fraud on +44(###) ###-####or by visiting

In the end, these are the only options available to you in the circumstances.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok, I understand, but is it possible to send them an official letter, request the money back and "threaten " them with the court. Could you do that? Might that work?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

We are only an online Q&A service, all we can do is discuss your situation and rights on this website – we cannot send letters on your behalf. For that you need to officially engage a solicitor but yes, that is possible. How efficient it is will remain to be seen though – they can simply ignore it and nothing will change. The issue is that until you have sent it you won’t know if it works. Hope this clarifies?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello Ben, sorry, was thinking what exactly I got more than what I have already known. But as I mentioned we filed report at the police a month ago, and I know I can't find out what the effect of the letter might be unless it is sent...however I was expecting more creative ideas, by experience, what works best...So if there is a fraud company, there is nothing to do about?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Having dealt with fraud for many years, often the reality is that there is not much you can do - only less than 1% of victims actually end up recovering anything from the fraudsters. The best way to avoid fraud is not to get defrauded in the first place, once that has happened, the chances of recovering anything decrease significantly. Whilst I understand you are after creative ideas, there is also the reality, which is unfortunately what we have to deal with. So it does bring me back to the initial information provided - the police, or the courts. They are the only ones which can really do anything about it in the circumstances, but as mentioned neither actually guarantees any success. So I can only tell you what is available to you, I am not intentionally withholding information which will help you. Hope this clarifies?