Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I worked as manager for a club in a university, it was run

I worked as manager for a club in a university , it was run by a committee of students it was a members club , I signed to open an account with a brewer , the club closed inn2013 , the brewer is trying to claim the debt off me , even though I was an employee not a stakeholder ? They are saying because it was an unincorporated asdociation I am responsible because I signed the contract to, theyvsay the club could not enter into a contract because it was unincorporated but they accepted what I signed and supplied the beer , ammi responsible ?

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How much is owed?

and how long had you worked there for?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I paid £11000 and they wanted another £1200 so I challenged them as to whether I should be paying , they always told me I should and threatened with legal action so now I’m trying to get my £1100 0 returned

OK thank you for your response and for the phone call request. I am not available to talk at this present time but leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Sorry it should have been£12000 not £1200

So are you asking if you can make a claim against them for the money you paid out?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
they are saying because I signed the new account form on behalf of the club , they should keep what I’ve paid and they reserve the right to claim the raindetnoff me

If you did personally open the account and sign for it on behalf of the club, then it is indeed most likely you would be personally liable for it, even if you did it for the club. As it is an unincorporated club, they would not be able to sue anyone apart from the person who they officially had an account with. You basically did the club a favour and opened up the account in your name and took on the legal responsibility for it and as far as the brewery are concerned they can pursue you because you had the legal responsibility for the account. In other words, they pursue you and you in turn can pursue the club if needed.

If you wanted to try and get some of that money back you may do so and you will be making a claim in the County Court but it will be risky so you must think carefully before proceeding.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The account was in the name of the club and I signed as manager and the secretary signed as secretary but the name on the account was the clubs name , I have the agreement in computer

I understand but what I am saying is that in the absence of a legal entity being liable for this (which the club won’t be as they are not an incorporated company) you will have personal responsibility as the signatory. In any event, the position is that the only way to take this further is to make a claim, which will be risky as mentioned, but if you are adamant on trying to get some money back, it is the only way to take it further

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you for your time

you are most welcome