12826847

My daughter is renting a retail property for a Beauty salon

Customer Question

My daughter is renting a retail property for a Beauty salon and there are several outstanding issues. She signed the lease on 24th November 2017 with 2 outstanding issues that needed to be completed by the landlord 1) there is no hot water 2) 2 of the ceiling lights do not work. As of 11th June 2018 these have still not been resolved. We now have leaks in the toilet from the flat above, which is also the landlords property and the tenants involved have also been waiting months to have their problems solved.
Also we have not yet received a signed copy of the contract. I have tried contacting the agents that sold the property without success as they do not oversee it. We are being asked by the electricity board to provide readings but are unable to due to the landlord having the only access to the area they are all housed. To cap it all the contact number we were given to contact the landlord no longer seems to receive iMessages and text messages from my daughter and just rings when we call it just rings until it goes to answerphone but it is making it very hard for us to speak to him. Finally due to the damp, the smell, being unable to open all the windows as they were painted shut (since being in we’ve managed to open one half way), no hot water and a toilet that we cannot really let clients use the premises are not suitable for a salon and wondered if there was anyway to break the lease early without penalties (there is a 15month break clause which we can use allowing us to vacate in February 2019 but we cannot continue in this property as it is as the environment is now affecting the effectiveness of the products). Any advice on what we can do will be much appreciated as this is not helping us retain clients which is essential for a start up business. Many thanks.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Why won’t the landlord do anything?

What will it cost for your daughter to get someone in and do the work?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No idea why he won’t do the work, it’s not just us it’s other tenants as well. One has been hassling for over 9 months. Not sure how much it will cost because I feel that the electric issue could be a major rewiring as there are scorch marks on the ceiling and may affect more of the building. The water issue is that a heater is required to heat water and is not plumbed in at all and currently the cold water is plumbed into the hot tap and needs to be changed over. We can’t sort the leaks as they are coming from the flat above.

Ok. Does she have evidence of asking for repairs?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I sent you a photo of a text conversation back in February about the lights, water and getting meter readings and there is an email from myself to the estate agents asking for confirmation when they had been sorted. Is that enough?

Have you chased since Feb?