Helen Hill
Helen Hill, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB Law, Licensed Conveyancer and Probate Practitioner, Fellow of CILEx, Trust and Estates Practitioner (STEP)
102395076

I am a EU citizen resident in the UK since 1992.If I move

I am a EU citizen resident in the UK since 1992.If I move out from the UK,what happens with the inheritance tax liabilty in the UK,do I escape from that or like domiciled persons ,still would have liabilty to pay inheritance tax ?

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a UK estate and tax planning lawyer so I will be able to help with your query.

Whether your estate will still be subject to Inheritance Tax under UK legislation will depend on the situation at the time of your death. Even if you are not resident in the UK at the time you may still be deemed to be domiciled here if certain conditions are met. If you were not born in the UK the only way you can be deemed to be domiciled here is if you have been resident in the UK for 15 out of the preceding 20 years.

Therefore if you have been living outside of the UK for five years prior to your death then you won't be deemed to be domiciled here and won't be subject to IHT on your estate. Please note however that there will always be IHT payable on any property that you own here whether you are deemed to be domiciled here or not.

I hope that this answers your question. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Best regards

Helen