How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Helen Hill Your Own Question
Helen Hill
Helen Hill, Lawyer
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 261
Experience:  LLB Law, Licensed Conveyancer and Probate Practitioner, Fellow of CILEx, Trust and Estates Practitioner (STEP)
Type Your Law Question Here...
Helen Hill is online now

I am a EU citizen resident in the UK since 1992.If I move

This answer was rated:

I am a EU citizen resident in the UK since 1992.If I move out from the UK,what happens with the inheritance tax liabilty in the UK,do I escape from that or like domiciled persons ,still would have liabilty to pay inheritance tax ?

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a UK estate and tax planning lawyer so I will be able to help with your query.

Whether your estate will still be subject to Inheritance Tax under UK legislation will depend on the situation at the time of your death. Even if you are not resident in the UK at the time you may still be deemed to be domiciled here if certain conditions are met. If you were not born in the UK the only way you can be deemed to be domiciled here is if you have been resident in the UK for 15 out of the preceding 20 years.

Therefore if you have been living outside of the UK for five years prior to your death then you won't be deemed to be domiciled here and won't be subject to IHT on your estate. Please note however that there will always be IHT payable on any property that you own here whether you are deemed to be domiciled here or not.

I hope that this answers your question. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Best regards


Helen Hill and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you