How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 72720
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

I have made a statement a few months ago when a drunk

This answer was rated:

Hi, I have made a statement a few months ago when a drunk neighbour threatened to kill my partner on our doorstep. I am now to appear as a witness in court. I am however not well (back problems, incontinence, etc.) and don't want to appear in court now. Can I withdraw my statement?
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Wales.
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not sure what you mean.
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Have they summonsed you?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I received a letter today. The court date is on 26.07.

Ok. That is a shame.

Ultimately if they have summonsed you then they have summonsed you. If you do not attend then that would be a contempt. It must be said that the magistrates court don't prosecute that very often. It is far more common in the Crown Court.

However, you are taking a risk.

There are special measures available to you though if that is helpful.

If you do fail to answer a summons though then you take the risk of a witness warrant. May happen. May not but that is the risk.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Am I not able to get a letter from my GP saying I'm not well. I have nerve damage in my lower back and suffer from incontinence.


They will offer special measures to accommodate that and demand that you give evidence.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do't see how that is going to work...I have to go to the toilet every 20 minutes and may leave the courtroom quite urgently!

They will take breaks to accommodate it.

Or set up a live link although that is not likely.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't want to be in the situation where I can't go to the toilet and have to basically run out of the courtroom . It's embarrassing enough as it is.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What do I do to alert them to my health problems? Also, I do not wish to be seen by the accused. He is a dangerous man and I am scared for myself and my 2 daughters. He has threatened to rape my 14-year-old.

Then they can apply for a screen. There are special measures.

Jo C. and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How do I go about asking for those, please?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Could you kindly answer my last question so that we can close this.