F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

My neighbor has s tree died about 18inches from the rear of

My neighbor has s tree died about 18inches from the rear of our properties, it’s roots recently breached my damp course & has caused damage to my floor joists & floor boarding.
In addition the rubbish that drops from this tree has blocked my neighbors guttering & has caused overflowing on to both properties.
I’ve approached him regarding the issues & he said he won’t cut the tree but he’ll empty the gutters , that was 2 months ago & nothing is happening, where do I stand regarding these issues.
Regards *****

Good afternoon. Just need some more info before replying fully - I apologise in advance if delayed in replying

how long have you and your neighbour lived there?

what is the tree do you know?

what is the damage you say the roots have caused?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We have lived at this address for 32 years my neighbor probably 30 years,
The tree I believe is a Rowan
The damage to the floor is that the roots are now in the sun floor where they have come through the footing the water has increased through the damaged footing & has rotted a floor joist & has caused the floor boards to bulge .
This work has now been repaired .