Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

If a gift was given to a couple to buy a proper after they

If a gift was given to a couple to buy a proper after they got married , if the married is short and last just 12 months does the person have to give it back

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Was the gift conditional upon anything?

Did they buy a property?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No yes they brought a flat

Then no, you are not entitled to it back.

It was so they could buy a property.

Unless you said the marriage had to last x years or if they split, you would get it back - then no.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Its actually my son and his mother in law gave the couple a deposit for a flat , it is now being sold as after onky a year it has not worked and my sons husband solicitors is say my son cannot have half because its a shirt married he di not put that amount in himself as it was a gift

That makes no difference. Unless it was agreed in writing he would retain an interest.

Makes no difference at all

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you sure

I am. To answer your question again: Not entitled to it back. The gift was not conditional.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Why is my son husband solicitor stating because it was a short married thats why he can not get half the flat sale like half each

I don't know what the legal position your son Solicitor is stating.

Without knowing the legal basis of the opinion, then I can not say

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
generally if it was a gift and nothing was out in writing then my son is still entitled to half when the flat sells

Yes.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ver satisfies

Have a good weekend.