How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 11190
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

A landlord of a flat has occupants suspected in drug taking

This answer was rated:

A landlord of a flat has occupants suspected in drug taking and dealing and other antisocial domestic issues which have caused a problem for other tenants in the block.The police and the council are involved where the council have suggested to the landlord that the flat maybe closed for 3 months which is a worry for the landlord. They are mentioning sections 21 and 8 eviction notices.Q. Is there any advice as to what to do under these difficult circumstances ?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Advice to whom?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks Jamie
Trying to help my brother

who is tenant or landlord?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My brother is the landlord
The young tenants have made things difficult for all and sundry
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He doesn't want to lose money if the authorities put a 3 month shut down on the place
Just needs a steer and to do the right thing

Ok - has he served a S.8 notice?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Don't think the council or he have served that as yet

But if your brother is Landlord it would be up to him, not the Council?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it's all a bit strange is it best for us to pay for you to talk to brother ?

I can do if you wish.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Would you be happy just to give him a quick call ? He isn't finding it easy we don't want to spend lots of money

I can call, but it is an additional cost, or we can keep it online for the original fee.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sadly he is busy perhaps best to exaust this bit can you fire some questions across for him to consider ?

I just need to know if he has served a S.8. If not, why not if he is the Landlord?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The council apparently are about to serve a section 8 apparently because they advised my brother that this was the best thing to do under the circumstances clearly he isn't happy with the idea of losing 3 months rent
The guarantor apparently is more reasonable than the tenants but this don't all easy for my brother
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry too many Apprantly

Who is the tenant, the Council?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No private tenants young couple and visiting people

Ok - so the Council can't issue a S.8 notice, only the Landlord can

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
They are sending a bundle pack to him to fill in forms the council are working in conjunction with police

OK - maybe they are encouraging him to do that.

So you can issue a S.8 notice - they will have to vacate in 2 weeks.

If they do not vacate he can seek a Court order for possession.
He would need to complete form N5:

And N119:

The Court will set the matter down for hearing and decide whether to give possession.

That should resolve the matter for you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and other Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
That's great thanks I will send to brother and get back if needed much appreciated 're no extra cost