Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

A landlord of a flat has occupants suspected in drug taking

A landlord of a flat has occupants suspected in drug taking and dealing and other antisocial domestic issues which have caused a problem for other tenants in the block.The police and the council are involved where the council have suggested to the landlord that the flat maybe closed for 3 months which is a worry for the landlord. They are mentioning sections 21 and 8 eviction notices.Q. Is there any advice as to what to do under these difficult circumstances ?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Advice to whom?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thanks Jamie
Trying to help my brother

who is tenant or landlord?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
My brother is the landlord
The young tenants have made things difficult for all and sundry
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
He doesn't want to lose money if the authorities put a 3 month shut down on the place
Just needs a steer and to do the right thing

Ok - has he served a S.8 notice?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Don't think the council or he have served that as yet

But if your brother is Landlord it would be up to him, not the Council?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
it's all a bit strange is it best for us to pay for you to talk to brother ?

I can do if you wish.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Would you be happy just to give him a quick call ? He isn't finding it easy we don't want to spend lots of money

I can call, but it is an additional cost, or we can keep it online for the original fee.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Sadly he is busy perhaps best to exaust this bit can you fire some questions across for him to consider ?

I just need to know if he has served a S.8. If not, why not if he is the Landlord?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
The council apparently are about to serve a section 8 apparently because they advised my brother that this was the best thing to do under the circumstances clearly he isn't happy with the idea of losing 3 months rent
The guarantor apparently is more reasonable than the tenants but this don't all easy for my brother
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Sorry too many Apprantly

Who is the tenant, the Council?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
No private tenants young couple and visiting people

Ok - so the Council can't issue a S.8 notice, only the Landlord can

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
They are sending a bundle pack to him to fill in forms the council are working in conjunction with police

OK - maybe they are encouraging him to do that.

So you can issue a S.8 notice - they will have to vacate in 2 weeks.

If they do not vacate he can seek a Court order for possession.
He would need to complete form N5:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n5-claim-form-for-possession-of-property

And N119:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n119-particulars-of-claim-for-possession

The Court will set the matter down for hearing and decide whether to give possession.

That should resolve the matter for you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
That's great thanks I will send to brother and get back if needed much appreciated 're no extra cost

Pleasure