Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I have paid for a professional development course that was

Customer Question

I have paid for a professional development course that was advertised as a 5 day course consisting of two elements a foundation level and a practitioner level. The course is delivered by a training provider- Knowledge Academy, the exams are through an examination body PeopleCert and the courses accredited by Axelos.
I received a confirmation email confirming my booking and giving me the pre course study, joining instructions and directions.
Traditionally the format of these courses are that the exam is taken in written format after lunch on day 5.
When I arrived on day one I received a note telling me that the practitioner exam would not be delivered on Friday after lunch, but instead would be an online exam and that I should have received an email from the examining body instructing me to register for the exam.
Firstly I expected to sit a written exam which has been the method for all of the other Axelos courses I have taken, including with this training provider.
Secondly I was told by the Quality department of the trading provider that it would be impossible to sit a written exam in London on Fri 3rd Aug which I was expecting. The Quality representative told me that it was clearly stated that the exam would be an online one on page five of the joining instructions in the detail of the course timetable.
I was not told at any time that the final exam would be computer based instead of a written exam carried out on the Friday, nor was it clear from the website when I booked and paid for the course, otherwise I would not have chosen this training provider.
I am unsuited to an online exam as I require to wear reading glasses, the way the exam is conducted in effect via Skype, and the fact that I cannot use anything other than the small laptop screen placed me at a significant disadvantage. With the online training you are prohibited from printing material or using a monitor, I would also be required to install software to prevent the capture of the exam details by screen shots etc, which I can’t do as it is a UK government owned device on a secure network.
I have asked for the earliest written exam opportunity within the Southwest of the UK, I will consequently suffer loss from having to take time off work - I am a contractor, and incur travel cost in getting to the new location.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

How long ago did you pay for the course and did you do this online or in person?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Online 13th July
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry I can’t talk

OK no problem at all and thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Many thanks for your patience. First of all, your rights will depend on what was actually advertised and the details given to you before you agreed to take up the course. You may have been used to a set structure on previous courses but that does not mean that this had to follow the same structure and they would have had the right to change it. The important thing is whether the details of the course given to you in advance of you signing up contained that information. If they did, then they have not really done anything wrong, even if you had expectations for something different. It is not what you expected but what was advertised and your rights will only really kick in if you can show that they had given you a false description of the course and its details. If they did, you could argue that this amounted to a breach of contract and/or misrepresentation and either try to get your money back or get them to make changes to make it comply with what was promised.

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks