,
97337639
is online now

I wonder if you could help? I have recently supplied a

Customer Question

I wonder if you could help?
I have recently supplied a customer with a structural panel extension kit bespoke and supply only.
As he had a young family I helped him out a lot on the phone, out of hours and weekends going through everything with him.
He gave the drawings and the measurements to which I supplied to the struct calcs person. He then found that he got measurements wrong and it had to be redrawn and resubmitted I told him I would do this foc.
I had a delivery date for him, he wanted a Saturday morning which I squeezed in for him at no extra cost. He recommended a neighbour I refunded him £150 from his delivery of £250 as a thank you.
On ordering he was told to get an experienced builder or we could send him a list of approved installers he refused and he was going to do it himself.
I told him to check the goods on delivery and to dry fit prior to doing anything else I was coming back down in a week and if he needed anything or had any problems I would help him then whilst on site. He hadn't checked items and he hadn't dry fitted anything he was straight into the build, I noticed that his base was out, which I mentioned to him and he said he would have to correct. the base is nothing to do with me by the way. Whilst I was there he said he has happy with everything. I gave him some pointers then left.
Approx a week after this, he realised that he didn't have enough timbers so he ordered some more from local merchants, I told him I would be happy to refund items. I ended up having receipts for a lot more than timber, which I did refuse to pay for. A few days later he had an incorrect sized panel which he had to take from his neighbour. I supplied this panel back to neighbour foc. In the meantime I asked him to take photos of his issues and he refused. I delivered the panel to his neighbour and went and talked to him. I told him that any further timber that he needed I would refund him for on receipt of receipts, I would also take the item he wasn't happy with and put it right for him free of charge. He refused, he insisted that he would fix the problem. I told him I would pay for an hours labour in cutting the panel as that is how long it should take to do. And an hours labour in fixing the item that he wasn't happy with making 2 hours in total.
I then received an email requesting £1000 compensation and 5 hours labour in correcting items plus a refund on all the timber. If I paid this to him he would have had everything for nothing. His building is up he is using it, he has put this up himself and I can't determine whether he has made mistakes himself and wishes me to pay for them. He has resisted any recommendations and resisted me putting things right he has resisted photos etc. And when the total amount I have already told him he has had in redone drawings, site visits, time spent helping him, refunds on missing items etc he feels that he is entitled by law to £1000 compensation plus all of the above. Even though this build was supply only. Can you help
Expert:  Jim1079 replied 14 days ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

Can I ask how he arrived at the figure of £1,000 compensation?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I don't know he's never broke it down he wants £1000 plus refunds and time
Expert:  Jim1079 replied 14 days ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** come back he has is to reject the goods if he claims they are inferior quality, not as described, not fit for purposes, etc. This would be under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

He did not take your advice to instruct a builder either. I presume there was no contract other than for you to supply the materials?

He cannot simply say he wants £1,000 without justifying it or itemising this. Did you lose out financially as a result of this?

I would be inclined to tell him you dispute the £1,000 and any other losses which he is claiming for. He would need to prove that a contract existed over and above the supply of the materials.

Let me know if I can help further. If he tries to sue in the small claims court, I can help with any defence. If you could accept this answer and give me a star rating, I can offer unlimited follow up Q&A's at no extra charge

Kind regards,

Jim