,
97337639
is online now

If i lent my friend money and they havent paid me back do I

Customer Question

If i lent my friend money and they havent paid me back do I have any option to legally get this back?
Assistant: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: england
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have messaged him and phone calls he has paid me back a small amount
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have pictures of the messages exchanged between myself and him. He believs that I am acting as a loan shark which I do not believe
Expert:  Jim1079 replied 17 days ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

You have the messages as evidence which is great.

You should send your friend a letter before action to demand payment within 14 days.

If they do not repay you after that term, you can issue a claim online at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

The small claims court will serve the papers on your friend and they have to respond and either accept the sum in full or in part or deny the claim. If you win, you recover the sum you leant plus court interest on top and you also recover the court issue fee. You can provide the messages with the claim form to evidence the agreement.

I hope this helps. If you can please accept the answer and give me a star rating, I can offer unlimited follow up Q&A's at no extra charge.

Kind regards,

Jim

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
If he is claiming that i am making money off me lending him the money would he have a case trying to say i am acting as a loan shark?
Expert:  Jim1079 replied 17 days ago.

Well anyone can say "they're a loan shark" to try and get out of it but if you have evidence of an agreement where you leant money then you are legally entitled to it back. The loan shark argument won't work