Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have a very old CCJ against me from when I guarantor-ed a

Customer Question

I have a very old CCJ against me from when I guarantor-ed a credit card for a building company. I did not use the card, debt was run up and a ccj approx 10K was issued, then a charging notice restriction was placed against my and wife property. It was a bad time, and I was unable to pay anything against the CCJ. in 2014 I went bankrupt, and discharged in 2015, and have just finished voluntary payment agreemntt in May this year. However the CCJ is now 10years old, and the charging notice is still on house. I only every guaranteed £2000, so the original judgement was wrong amunt (significantly). I would love to contest the CCJ but is long time ago. is the CCJ still enforable in any way, as it would have been covered by the bkrpty had they not secured it on the notice, can they force a sale with the notice, as underlying ccj now old, can I approach them to pay what I owed 2K?
Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: Sorry I did not see your reply. No I have not discussed with a lawyer yet. I am in the UK
Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Explaining here
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with your question today. I am reviewing it, please give me a moment.

Just to be clear the CCJ was secured by way of charging order?
Was this included in the bankruptcy?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I dont know if included in the bankruptcy, I dont think so as I belive it became a secured debt, but I did advise the trustee.

Can you check? If it was then you are ok.

If it is not then potentially they can enforce it. Only if it is included in the bankruptcy are you free.

Unless it was, then sadly they could, in theory enforce.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the bottom of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.