How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 32426
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now

If someone has an Iva can anyone even a solicitor demand

Customer Question

If someone has an Iva can anyone even a solicitor demand money for an ex husband when he has not accepted any other offers of paying an amount by monthly payments when he has not conversed with someone
Assistant: What steps has he taken? Has he filed any papers in family court?
Customer: He has got a solicitor but no mention of taking to court
Assistant: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does he live in?
Customer: Sheffield council the solicitor is ignoring any proposals for paying this. The amount altogether is 10000 pounds and solicitor is saying he is putting interest on this if he doesn't get the full amout
Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Proposal to pay was made by his son to help his mum and he still won't agree to this either and the amount was 4000 pound he offered to pay immediately and rest 100 pound a month
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Clare replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my best to help you.

Could you explain a little more about the situation please

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My ex partner was owed £10000 pound in an agreement in 2014 part of a divorce settlement I took on the family debt and remained in the family home but now the time has come and he wants his money but I have been bringing up our two sons and am now on an Iva because of debt I have accrued and I have tried to resolve this by offering three proposals to pay him but this has been refused by the solicitor that he has and the ex partner. The the solicitor has made no motion to take this to family court and is demanding the full amount plus interest what would your advice be on this matter as I am getting very stressed and anxious do you think it would be best if he took me to court
Expert:  Clare replied 6 months ago.

Just to check - this £10,000 is due under a divorce settlement dating back to 2014.

How much is the house worth?