12826847

Us citizen traveling to U.K. for community shield game. Paid

Customer Question

Us citizen traveling to U.K. for community shield game. Paid 1700 US dollars for 3 tickets. Delivered to Amba hotel by Royal Mail hotel employee signed for tickets. But now hotel claims they not left. They are not willing to replace or refund money. Any legal recourse?
Expert:  Joseph Chiffers replied 11 days ago.

Dear Customer

Yes you do have legal redress. The company accepted responsibility for your tickets and become a bailee; you can sue for breach of bailment and/or negligence. I would suggest sending them a letter of claim that complies with the Practice Direction on Pre-Action Conduct. The letter should request a refund of the $1700 and state that if this is not provided within 14 days, you will commence a County Court claim for a refund, together with costs and interest. You can claim interest at the rate of 8% per annum under section 69 pf the County Courts Act 1984.

The claim will be allocated to the small claims track, which means that the Court can consider documents and statements that you have submitted, without you having to attend and give live evidence.

I hope this answer is helpful.

JC