Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I accidentally put desiel in my petrol car. I called a

Hi.. I accidentally put desiel in my petrol car. I called a company out called fuel fixer. He came out drained the desiel from my car. He was then trying to start it. The cover of the air filter blew off the car where he was using a starter spray whilst the car was running. It went with an almighty bang so much so the guys came running outside from the inside of the petrol garage. It completely traumatised me as if it wasn't for the guy parked next to me who I was talking to on a motorbike who was blood transporter I would of been at the front of the car watching. I cannot even start to imagine what could of happened. The filter cover went with an enormous bang and shot higher than the garage itself. It also came down a g great speed. The guy kept saying sorry and that he had only had two ours sleep. That the company keep sending him all over the place. My car is still not fixed and I've been out up in a hotel which they were reluctant to pay for. The guy is coming back this morning with a new part. I am still very worried about him touching my car. Please can you advise about what I should do with regards ***** ***** problem with this company. Also about paying for their services when it has been an absolute nightmare and still a nightmare. The boss of the company said "it's just one of those things". I replied this is not how I see it as it could of killed me or anyone in the garage through negligence.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What do you specifically want to know about this please? Please note I am mobile today so may not be able to reply until later today thanks

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thankyou.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I would like to know where I stand with this situation. About paying the company. I am now traumatised after this awful situation as it was like a bomb going off. I want some sort of compensation for sending a guy that has had no sleep. Putting mine and others at risk.

Many thanks for your patience. First of all, the law does not really offer compensation for 'what could have happened'. Therefore, you would not get anything for potential risks or injuries, a court would only look at actual thongs that have happened, actual injuries or costs.

In terms of the general laws on this, when a person enters into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession)

If there are problems with any of the above, the customer will have certain rights and in the case of substandard work - the trader should either redo the parts of the work which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to the customer. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience. If this is not possible, you can claim a price reduction, based on the severity of the issues. If they simply refuse to resolve the issues, you can consider getting someone else to rectify the issues and either deduct these costs from the total owed to the original trader, or pursue them for any extra costs that have been incurred.

I would say that due to what happened you will likely have grounds to refuse to work with them any further as their initial work was negligent. So you may not have to pay for the work carried out s far, but cannot expect them to fix the car for free either. However, if any damage was caused to your car they would be expected to either repair it or compensate you for the costs of getting it done elsewhere.

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? Do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the response to your query? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I'm happy with your answer. Thankyou very much.

you are welcome and all the best