Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

My husband committed suicide on the 1st June and whilst I am

Customer Question

Hello my husband committed suicide on the 1st June and whilst I am dealing with this devastating loss the Trustees of his companies pension scheme have said they will not pay me his death in service payment until after the inquest which is on the 10th October. The Insurers have already paid and I am being told the Trustees want to ensure I have had nothing to do with my husband’s death. This is incredibly hurtful. I have never been questioned by the police in relation to my husband’s death and I reported him missing. Our financial advisor has suggested the Trustees want the interest on the money and he has suggested we make an official complaint to the ombudsman. I would like advise on if I should proceed with this course of action or leave until after the inquest even if I will be worse off financially. Many thanks Jacqui
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 16 days ago.

Dear Jacqui

I appreciate how upsetting this must be but I do not think whether you complain now or after the inquest to the Ombudsman will make a great deal of difference. Even if you complain today the complaint will invariably take longer than the couple of months between now and the inquest.

The death of a loved one is devastating and the Ombudsman will have to decide whether the policy of waiting until after the inquest to make the payment is a reasonable one.

Because there is a possibility that in some cases the partner is involved with the death of the deceased there is a real possibility it will actually be deemed reasonable.

If there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respond.

Kindly either accept or rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes

Michael

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you very much for the quick response very helpful