Helen Hill
Helen Hill, Lawyer
Experience:  LLB Law, Licensed Conveyancer and Probate Practitioner, Fellow of CILEx, Trust and Estates Practitioner (STEP)
102395076

Jo between 1900 and 1930 in uk law if a jeweller mis-sold a

Customer Question

Hi Jo between 1900 and 1930 in uk law if a jeweller mis-sold a low value synthetic gemstone, representing it as a much more valuable natural gem after 1916 I presume the offence would be addressed under section 32 of the larceny act, is that correct. What law would have been relevant prior to 1916 for prosecution of the same 'offence' if such law existed
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 11 days ago.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
happy to wait a bit its for an article I am in the middle of writing
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Helen Hill replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for your somewhat unusual question.

There was a previous Act that was repealed by the Larceny Act of 1916 which was the Larceny Act of 1861. I believe it would be section 88, obtaining money by false pretences, that would have been applicable in these circumstances which was directly replaced by section 32 of the later Act that you refer to. This 1861 Act was a revised version from an even earlier Act of 1827 which was a consolidation of numerous statutes relating to similar offences.

I hope this helps with your article.

Best regards, Helen