Experience:  Qualified Solicitor
29905560

I am self representative in an employment tribunal case

Customer Question

Good morning, I am self representative in an employment tribunal case involving public disclosure. I have disclosed and compiled a list of documents I will rely on in the tribunal hearing. The respondent has failed to comply with a disclosure request to avail documents in their possession. The deadline to prepare the bundle of documents is in two days. What are my options.
Looking forward to your response.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

When is the final hearing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The final hearing is in March 2019 however the deadline to prepare the bundle of documents is on Thursday

Thank you. To be honest, this is mot that unusual. I have been involved in countless tribunal claims where certain deadlines have been missed by either side. It is quite common occurrence and whilst you do have options to deal with it, tribunals will often just issue a slap on the wrist, rather than take any more serious action. Of course, the more breaches there are and the more serious these get, they will also be dealt with more severely, but as far as missing a deadline for exchange of documents for a hearing which is not until next year, it will not be seen as a serious breach.

What you can do is bring this to the attention of the tribunal and ask them to make a fresh order for the exchange of documents and if they breach that as well, you can consider making an application for an 'unless order'. This is where the tribunal,orders that unless the respondent adheres to the specific deadlines set, their claim will be struck out. However, as mentioned this is likely to be applied for more serious offences, rather than the current one, which whilst frustrating, is not that serious.

Does this answer your query?

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? Do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the response to your query? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks