How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4028
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I am in a common law situation and want to leave. I sold my

This answer was rated:

I am in a common law situation and want to leave. I sold my house and the proceedings were given over. No joint ownership was signed for the present house although was promised. I have ploughed a lot of money into the refurbishment of the house. I want my money back and more for all I have contributed.
What can I do?

Hello, thank you for the question.

Unless you are married, the courts treat the parties as having their own assets and as such, you can pursue your ex partner for the money which you paid.

I presume there is no separation agreement drawn up?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We are not married and no there is no separation agreement drawn up.

OK, thank you.

The way to obtain the money back would be send your ex a letter of claim with a demand for repayment. You have to give 14 days before you can issue court proceedings.

If the claim is for a specified sum, you can sue online at

You will need to fill out a form and pay the issue fee. The court then serves your ex with the papers and your ex has a period of time of up to 14 days to respond. If you succeed, you recover the sum claimed plus interest and the court issue fee. You can also have the county court judgment transferred up the high court for a small fee if you want to involve the high court enforcement officers, who have greater powers.

Let me know if you would like help with the letter or claim itself.

If you can please accept the answer and give me a star rating, I can offer unlimited follow up Q&A's at no extra charge

Kind regards,


JimLawyer and 3 other Law Specialists are ready to help you