,
97337639
is online now

If we don’t need a Data Protection Officer can we appoint

Customer Question

If we don’t need a Data Protection Officer can we appoint our Financial Director to the role of let’s call home Responsible Person ( or Data Compliance Officer) who takes charge of implementing GDPR in our company?
Is this person beyond challenge by the CEO like a DPO is?
We registered our Fd as DPO in error how do we get her unregistered
Expert:  Jim1079 replied 2 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

You can appointment anyone to the role of GDPR officer as long as they deal with the GDPR responsibilities.

They have to ensure compliance otherwise the company can be fined up to £17m or up to 4% of turnover, so it is a big deal.

They have a high level of responsibility to the company and whilst the CEO is at the top of the tree, so to speak, they cannot override GDPR obligations as to do otherwise would not be in the best interests of the company.

You would need to speak to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) to de-register or to re-nominated someone in charge of data protection and compliance.

I hope this answers the question. If you can accept the answer and give me a star rating, I can offer unlimited and free of charge follow up Q&A's

Kind regards,

Jim

Expert:  Jim1079 replied 2 months ago.
Hello, if you can please accept the answer and give me a star rating, JustAnswer will credit me and I can offer unlimited follow up Q&A’s at no extra chargeKind regardsJim